23-Apr-17
Radio Contesting!
HomeLinksPrivacy
RC-dot-N forums

· Forum Home · Statistics · Registration · Search · FAQ ·

RC.N forums —› Sound Off —› IARU/WRTC Observations

Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 10, 2006 05:10:07

I spent part of Saturday S&P'ing WRTC stations, with assistance from Telnet. I ended up with 140 QSO's, including at least one QSO with all 46 stations. It was tough for us on the west coast, because the WRTC guys had their antennas pointed at Europe for much of the contest, and we were exactly in the null.

Looking at the WRTC scoreboard,
http://www.hagasoft.com/1280TeamPos.aspx , it looks like N6MJ and N2NL finished with the silver medal! Congrats to Dan and Dave. Knowing those two guys, I'm sure their preliminary score will hold up well in the final log checking. It is also interesting that the 3rd place team, YT6A/YT6T went from 11th place to 3rd place in the final hour of the contest! I'm sure there is a good story there.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

Posted: Jul 13, 2006 15:18:21

Quote: K6LL

YT6A/YT6T went from 11th place to 3rd place in the final hour of the contest!

Explained here.

"Preliminary Scoreboard numbers had the Serbia-Montenegro team of Ranko Boca, YT6A, and Djurica Maletin, YT6T -- operating as PT5L -- apparently scrambling from 11th to third place in the final hour of the event. That was not to be, however. They ended in 11th place.

In a news release July 10, Jarmo Jaakola, OH2BN, said, "Obviously such a jump is not possible near the finish line, when score levels are quite stable, and the path is established toward final positions."

Jaakola says YT6A set up his team's logging software as if the pair were in Montenegro -- calculating the team's points as though operating from Europe, not Brazil. The software configuration and the team's score were corrected after the event ended, and the team's claimed third-place finish was submitted to the log-checking committee, which apparently determined their 11th place finish."

Oh well.

Posted: Jul 14, 2006 06:00:35

Posted: Jul 15, 2006 17:39:59

Quote: n6hb

Explained here.

ARRL have revised and updated their report:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/07/14/100/

This confirms K1ZM's description of events.  :-(

Posted: Mar 1, 2013 18:25:56 · Edited by: Moderator

hanks for these early observations of this exciting game.

This topic is closed. You cannot post a reply.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019