23-Apr-17
Radio Contesting!
HomeLinksPrivacy
RC-dot-N forums

· Forum Home · Reply · Statistics · Registration · Search · FAQ ·

RC.N forums —› Sound Off —› Ham Radio Now Tied to Homeland Security in U.S.

Last poster Message

Posted: Oct 8, 2006 17:46:38

A section of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) 2007 Appropriations Act formally includes Amateur Radio operators as a part of the emergency communications community. Congress approved the measure before adjourning for its pre-election break. President George W. Bush signed the bill into law.

[Full story here] [Text of H.R.5441 Sub-sec. 1805] *
* If this link becomes invalid, go to the Library of Congress search page and search for the phrase H.R.5441. On the search results page, select the bill which states "Enrolled as Agreed to or Passed by Both House and Senate" in the description, and then select `SEC 1805.

It's nice (I suppose) that amateur radio is being officially recognized, but there is no mention of how the described "coordination" between agancies is supposed to occur. I suppose we can count on ARRL or that blowhard K1MAN to step up to the plate.

Comments?

Posted: Oct 30, 2007 02:37:39

ttt

I wanna hear more about this

Posted: Feb 13, 2012 21:47:14

Does that mean that ANY HAM Radio operators are officially a PART of Homeland Security?...and would that be ON or OFF assignment as emergency communications?

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 02:47:54

Does that mean that ANY HAM Radio operators are officially a PART of Homeland Security?

No, hams are never co-opted into the service of another agency. It's strictly on a voluntary basis. This bill does nothing more than formally recognize and legitimize the relationship. The house and senate both had enhancement revisions pending last year (HR 81 and SB 191), but I don't know if they were ever acted on before sessions ended.

:: Your reply
Bold  Italic  Underline  Preformatted Text (for tabular data)  Insert URL  eMail Link  Disable *What's that?

NOTE: English only please (or your post will be edited)!
  » Password

Page loading time (sec.): 0.018